1. Regular Pirates: These can be seen in many places on the map and have a range of combat strength, from very low to mid level. They are the most common source of pirates for attacking, and can provide good rewards when destroyed.
2. Elite Pirates: Elite fleets can sometimes be found moving through systems. They tend to have very high combat strength, but they often drop special rewards when destroyed.
3. Revengers: These rare pirates may be dispatched to attack your station if you destroy a very large amount of pirates in a short period of time. They are not particularly strong but drop excellent rewards.
4. Plunderers: Plunderers may sometimes appear to attack inactive or very weak stations. They are not strong and any station with a reasonable fleet should be able to fend them off. Keep your station active constantly upgrading buildings and building new ships to avoid them.
5. Exiled Pirates: These rarely seen fleets sometimes appear from Legion Missions and can be hunted down to claim rewards.